Pokémon Go is Nintendo’s first foray into augmented reality apps for Apple and Android devices, and although most of the world can’t wait to catch Pokémon on their smartphones, for the moment Pokémon Go has only officially released in the US, Australia and New Zealand, with Pokémon fans in the UK, Japan and the rest of the world having to wait.
Pokémon Go is proving to be hugely popular, so if you’re unable to connect to the server, check out the Pokémon Go Server Status page to make sure the server is online. If it’s not, that may be why you cannot connect to Pokémon Go.
The good news is that if you’re in the US you can now officially download Pokémon Go for Android devices and for Apple iOS devices as well.
However, there is a way for you to play Pokémon Go right now without having to wait for it to launch in your location, and we show you how to download Pokémon Go for both Android and iOS devices.
Read on to find out how to get Pokémon Go without having to wait.
How to download Pokémon Go for Android
If you want to play Pokémon Go on your Android device, and you’re not in a country that has made Pokémon Go available through the Google Play store, then the following instructions will show you how to download it from a third-party website.
Download the Pokémon Go APK file
First you need to allow your Android device to install and run apps downloaded from other places. Be cautious when you turn on this setting, as you’ll want to make sure you only download apps you know are safe and reliable.
Open up Settings and go to Security. Scroll down and next to where it says ‘Unknown sources’, tap the toggle to turn this setting on.
Now you need to download the Pokémon Go APK file. On your Android device go to the Pokémon Go APK webpage and tap on ‘Download APK’. Select ‘OK’ when the warning message appears and Pokémon Go will download.
Once it’s downloaded, swipe your finger down from the top of your Android device to see the notification area and select the Pokémon Go file, then select ‘Install’.
Pokémon Go will now install, letting you play right now. Happy hunting!
How to download and install Pokémon Go on iPhone
If you have an iPhone or another iOS device, then the process for getting Pokémon Go is slightly different.
While Pokémon Go is available on the App Store, if it’s not available in your country follow our instructions on how to download and install it.
Log out of your Apple ID
First of all, you’ll need to make your iPhone belive you’re in a region that can download Pokémon Go. Open up Settings on your iPhone, tap on ‘Apple ID’ and select to sign out.
Now go back into Settings and select General > Language & Region. Set your region as US, New Zealand or Australia – all of these regions can download Pokémon Go.
Open up the App Store
- In the App Store app, scroll down to the bottom and select your Apple ID. Then choose ‘Sign out’
- Go to Settings > General > Language and Region. Change region to US, Australia or New Zealand
- Create a new Apple ID for the region that you’ve selected, by going to appleid.apple.com/account – and do it on a computer so you don’t have to enter credit card details
- You’ll need a separate email address for the new ID. If you have a Gmail account this is really easy: just add a ‘+’ sign, followed by any word, as your new email address
- Once you’ve entered your details hit ‘Continue’ and follow the steps to verify the account
- Go back to the App Store on your device, scroll down and select ‘Sign in’. It will ask you to review the new account and suggest you add card details, but you can select ‘None’
- Finally: you can now search for Pokémon Go in the App Store and download it. (And remember to sign back into your original Apple ID)